Monday, May 25, 2009

This is lovely: The Great Panjandrum

Ooh I just found the most beautiful poetic poem. It's very deep and meaningful and as I am a deep and meaningful clown myself, I am posting it here for you to read. What is very interesting is that this was written by Samuel, a boy who wrote this with his FOOT! (Or "FOOTE" as they used to spell it back in 1755).


So she went into the garden
to cut a cabbage-leaf
to make an apple-pie;
and at the same time
a great she-bear, coming down the street,
pops its head into the shop.
What! no soap?
So he died,
and she very imprudently married the Barber:
and there were present
the Picninnies,
and the Joblillies,
and the Garyulies,
and the great Panjandrum himself,
with the little round button at top;
and they all fell to playing the game of catch-as-catch-can,
till the gunpowder ran out at the heels of their boots.

- by Samuel (Foote)

I'm glad you like it. (I knew you would even before you read it, so that's why I'm saying this in advance).

That's all for today. I've been doing lots of reading, all about the history of clowning and the different types of clowns, but now I'm sleepy, so I'll tell you about that another time. Good night.
P.S. I cannot write with my foot. I have tried. Left and right. Doesn't work for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment