Saturday, June 27, 2009

Kung fu, cockroaches and a little bit of clown magic.

Yes, business as usual .. another delightful day at hospital yesterday for Babydoll and me. We did bump into the Danger Lady of Cleaning, but we managed to chase her off with bubbles (she doesn't like them, for some reason, which is rather ironic, don't you think, since she walks around with a bucket of soapy water?) and we also went prepared with my newest artillery: two large rubbery swords. She did try to steal them, but fortunately the bubbles kept her at bay.

Strategic idiocy. That's what hospital clowning's all about, I think. And it does work wonders. Today, a brief lesson in kung fu was followed by a session of kallaripattu (those bendy swords really worked well for this). I figured people would work up an appetite after that, but for some reason, every time I try to serve up a nice dish of fried cockroach, everyone I offer it to seems to be a vegetarian.

The very best part of today, though, was right at the end when we were getting ready to leave. That's when we did the magic. No, we didn't pull a rabbit out of a hat. There was a mother who lifted her baby up and I think jostled his drip a little, so he started wailing. And I already had my flute in hand, so I went up and played softly for him, and Babydoll sang too. And guess what, he just stopped crying and went back to sleep!

It was just like magic and everyone looked most impressed. Then we blew kisses to everyone and whispered goodbyes and tiptoed out of the ward.

No comments:

Post a Comment